Tahlequah Armory Municipal Center
“Built at a cost of approximately $32,000, and designed by Bryan W. Nolan, this armory was completed in 1937 using WPA labor. It consists of a one-story administrative wing, and a large barrel-roofed drill hall. The armory is built of uncoursed, squared white and tan polychromatic sandstone in a castle-like style….
“The administrative wing has a flat roof, with a stepped roof line and entrance which is slightly projected. The main entrance has double aluminum and glass doors, with the entrance and flanking windows having black cloth awnings. Some of the tall, narrow windows have the original steel frames and 2-over-4 and 3-over-6 panes. Some of the windows have been replaced with single fixed panes. Extensive alterations have been made to the interior, which include floor coverings, wall partitions, and sandblasting of the sandstone walls. The drill hall has been partitioned into classrooms. To repair roof leaks in the barrel-roof, the rolled asphalt surface has been shingled. The building is extensively used for municipal activities.”
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on May 19, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE