The Alley Dwelling Authority (ADA) funded the construction of a community building for the Syphax Houses and surrounding area, ca. 1942.
It is unknown to the Living New Deal if this building still exists.
The ADA was one of the earliest New Deal initiatives to provide better housing for low-income Americans. It replaced unsafe alley dwellings in Washington, DC with more modern and affordable houses and apartments. The ADA existed from 1934-1943 as a federally controlled special authority. It then slowly evolved into today’s DC Housing Authority, an independent agency of the DC Government.
The Syphax Houses Community Building was part of the New Deal’s overall effort to provide more community and recreation facilities for Americans. The WPA, for example, built 8,696 new recreation facilities between 1935 and 1943.
Report of the National Capital Housing Authority, For the Ten-Year Period 1934-1944, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1945, p. 122, available on Hathitrust (accessed August 25, 2020).
Federal Works Agency, Final Report on the WPA Program, 1935-43, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1947, p. 131, available on Hathitrust (accessed August 25, 2020).
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on August 30, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE