Sycamore Park Shelter and Drinking Fountain
Sycamore Park received extensive improvements with assistance from the WPA and the NYA. Pictured here is a WPA shelter and drinking fountain built in 1935-36. The structures were designed by Hare & Hare of Kanas City, Missouri.
The Fort Worth Park Department’s 1937-38 Annual Report details later New Deal improvements to the park:
“Through an agreement with the Board of Education, an area in the southeast section of this park was set aside for an amphitheater which is now under construction by the WPA. This will not only be an addition to the park facilities but will be an additional feature to the Polytechnic High School area.
A new lighted soft ball diamond in the center section of the park has been completed by the Recreation Department with a NYA project.
The Park Department is now preparing a WPA application for further improvements in this park. These improvements will include a shelter in the north section of the park; two naturalistic stone, arched bridges; new concrete sidewalks; complete flood light system in the picnic and small children’s play areas; and other general park improvements.”
Fort Worth Park Department 1937-38 Annual Report
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on March 17, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE