The University of North Texas’s Marquis Hall was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. “1936 was also the date when construction started on a new library building. The first library, now known as Curry Hall, had been opened in 1912. The new structure, currently known as Sycamore Hall, was located on Avenue B and opened in 1937. Government funds made it possible for construction to take place and in 1938 a grant from the Carnegie Corporation helped North Texas to purchase books.”
The building which was dedicated on April 27, 1937.
"Building the New Deal: Federal Construction on College Campuses in 1930s Texas," by Kaitlyn Waynen http://blogs.library.unt.edu/unt125/2015/08/17/public-works-administration-buildings-on-campus/
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 10, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE