Sunset Park Benches
Sunset Park in Brooklyn was improved by the WPA in 1935 (when a small children’s playground was added) and, more extensively, in 1940. A press release announced the completion of the later project:
“In Sunset Park, the westerly portion located at Fifth Avenue, 41 to 42 Streets, has been redesigned and reconstructed. The new work consists of the rearrangement of new bituminous walks, curbs, concrete stairs, entrances, concrete walls, new overlooks, benches, chain link and wrought iron fencing, a small children’s play area with sand pit and play apparatus, and a new modern comfort station.
The opening of these park areas designed by the Park Department and built and landscaped by the Work Projects Administration, makes a total of 338 new or reconstructed recreational areas completed by the park Department since January 1,1934. At that time there were 119 playgrounds in the five boroughs and at present there are 406.”
NYC Parks - Sunset Park Department of Parks, Press Release, September 20, 1935 Department of Parks, Press Release, August 1, 1940
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on September 19, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE