In 1940 the Department of Parks announced the opening of a new playground was opened in what is today Fulton Park, located in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn. The playground was “designed by the Park Department and built and landscaped by the Work Projects Administration,” and describes the playground as follows:
“This small children’s playground consists of kindergarten swings, see-saws, slides, a sand pit and a free play space with a shower basin and has been surfaced with bituminous material to provide for all year round usage. The entire area is landscaped with shade trees and concrete benches have been provided.”
Fulton Park was last upgraded in the late 1990s. The status of the WPA playground is unknown to the Living New Deal.
Robert Caro, The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York (New York: Vintage, 1975) , 10. "Frank de Cruz's List of New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43", last accessed March 2016 "New York City Parks Department Press Release", last accessed March 2016
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 11, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE