Storm Mountain amphitheater - Big Cottonwood Canyon UT
A marvelous amphitheater graces the Storm Mountain picnic area. It was created in 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC), which had a camp there, along Big Cottonwood Creek and beneath the looming Storm Mountain.
The amphitheater is built from local stone and backs up against a striking stone cliff, part of the dramatic geology of Big Cottonwood Canyon. A path and bridge lead to the amphitheater.
The site was renovated by the US Forest Service and Chevron Corp workers in the 1990s and is still actively used. It is marked by a plaque added at that time and an informational sign, which speaks proudly of the CCC “Forest Army” of the New Deal era and work they did in the surrounding area (Mill Creek, Little Cottonwood Canyon, etc.)
Informational plaque at site
Kenneth Baldridge, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah: Remembering Nine Years of Achievement, 1933-1942. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2019.
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on July 18, 2019.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE