Stonybrook School (original on left, new one on right) - Castro Valley CANational Archives and Records Administration
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the rural Stonybrook School (of the then Stonybrook School District) in southeast Alameda County. It replaced a wooden, one-room schoolhouse (see photo).
Unfortunately, the PWA record does not give an exact location or date for the school. We surmise that it was built somewhere in Stonybrook Canyon, north of Niles Canyon, in southeastern Alameda County – still a very rural area in the 1930s. A 1924 map of school districts in the county shows a Stonybrook District in that area (see below) and there is no other place anywhere in Alameda County with the name “Stonybrook”.
The owner of Stonybrook Canyon Farm on Palomares Road, which runs south from the present city of Castro Valley to the Niles Canyon, claims that the old school building still exists somewhere on his land. This seems possible since the Stonybook Creek runs through that valley. But we have not yet been able to verify this.
PWA record card in the National Archives and Records Administration, College Park MD
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on November 13, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE