Sterling KS Cemetery Chapel
From the Sterling Kansas Bulletin article 8 November 1934:
“Another CWA project of which the city and community may well be proud is the new chapel that has just been completed in the northwest corner of the Sterling Community Cemetery. Built of stone and cement blocks, which were taken from around lot curbing, the Spanish style building makes a very substantial and attractive little chapel.
The material, which had to be purchased for the building, was furnished by Sterling City and Sterling Township, and the work was all done as a Civil Works Administration (CWA) project. Marion Heter was the architect and Art Bowen and Jim Nichols laid the rocks.
Cement steps lead onto a cement platform or porch, which extends across the front of the building, and a cement floor is laid inside. The ceiling is beamed, of used timber, which has been treated and made to represent an old appearance. The windows are of small panes of stained glass, and the plastered walls are of a deep cream color, rough finish.
The building has a seating capacity of one hundred people or more, and will be an ideal place to hold small funeral services, for services at the grave when the weather is bad, or for short services for funerals or persons brought here from a distance for burial.”
Project originally submitted by David Wilson on October 20, 2012.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE