School entrancePhoto: Eveline Evans, 04/06/2018 © All Rights Reserved
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) hired local workers to build the Stephenson High School. The school replaced an older facility that no longer met the needs of a growing population the surrounding area. Dedicated in 1939, the new structure was a one-story limestone building with a metal hipped roof. The school was named after a popular student, Allen J. Stephenson. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2013. The structure is currently home to American Legion Post 290 and VFW Post 2933.
National Register of Historic Places registration Form, 2013: (https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/13000504/13000504.pdf), accessed April 8, 2018.
Marker at the entrance to the building
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on April 8, 2018.