Crook County High School Front Facade
The Public Works Administration (PWA) approved the Crook County School District’s request for funds to construct a new high school in September 1935. A local bond raised $29,000 for the project and PWA funds provided the rest. Over the years, this one-story building has served several purposes, including its use as the school district’s high school from 1936 to 1951. It is currently the Steins Pillar Elementary School.
Portland area architect John Ernest Tourtleotte designed the $52,000 building in a style commonly known as PWA Moderne. The simple, modern lines of the school are accented with details that include both the organic style of Art Deco and the geometry associated with Moderne. While simple in design and ornamentation, the building’s entrance and slight bays on the eastern and western ends of the front facade provide visual interest.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Directors to Make Second Call for Bids," Oregonian. December 2, 1935. p. 4.
"PWA Grant Asked," Oregonian. September 4, 1935. p. 20.
Interview with Steve Lent, Crook County Historian, Crook County Historical Society. June 17, 2021.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 29, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE