Section on CCC in informational panel on Steamboat OR
There was a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on Steamboat Creek, ~1.5 miles up Steamboat Road from Highway 138, along this tributary of the North Umpqua River. We were not able to locate a likely site for the camp on our visit to the area in 2022.
According to a plaque put up by the National Association of CCC Alumni, Region 4, at Mott Bridge just east of the river and road junction, Steamboat Camp was occupied by CCC Companies 927, 703 and 3450 from 1933 to 1941 (not 1944 as stated on the informational panel nearby, because the CCC was ended in 1943).
According to the informational panel, the young men of Camp Steamboat built the Steamboat (Creek) Road, four campgrounds (Apple Creek, Canton Creek, Eagle Rock and Island), several miles of the North Umpqua trail, a guard station at Ilahee Flats and the Mott Bridge — all of which remain today (see relevant site pages).
We could not locate the Canton Creek bridge, old Marsters bridge or Panther Creek fish hatchery mentioned on the panel; those need further exploration. The panel also shows a Guard Station at Steamboat Creek and lists fire lookouts (but not which ones).
The settlement of Steamboat has long since disappeared, but remains on the name of Steamboat Creek and the Steamboat Inn nearby.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on June 5, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE