Staten Island Historical Museum
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped to restore the the Staten Island Historical Society Museum, now part of Historic Richmond Town. New Deal efforts on this project likely began under a precursor agency to the WPA: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) or Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA).
The Federal Writers’ Project guide to New York City has this to say:
“The Staten Island Historical Society Museum, opposite the old county courthouse at Court Place and Center Street, is housed in the old county clerk’s and surrogate’s office, a two-story brick structure of Colonial design, built in 1848 and restored in 1933-5 by the WPA.”
New York City: A Comprehensive Guide to the Five Boroughs of the Metropolis: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Richmond. Federal Writers' Project, 1939 (page 612).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE