The state health board of Mississippi was allocated $5,420.31 to erect an extension to the laboratory for the health department located at the Old Capitol building in Jackson. The new addition to the laboratory was completed in November 1934 with funding from ERA. The addition included a “new and modern animal pen, with a concrete floor” (Union Appeal, 1934, p. 1). The pen, and its “cyclone proof iron fence” was for animals such as rabbits, guinea pigs, and white mice, used in the manufacture of serum. The laboratory tested animals suspected of rabies in order to provide anti-rabies treatments.
$220,000 is Expended on State Repair Work for First Two Months. (Sep 28, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
Allocation of Funds is Made. (Oct 11, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 14.
The Union Appeal. (Nov. 29, 1934). p. 1.
Improvements by ERA and State Program Completed. (Mar 14, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3, 5.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on November 23, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE