Thomas St. Thomas Hospital - Colby KS
The Works Progress Administration built the St. Thomas hospital in Colby KS in 1941.
According to Kansas Historical Society, “St. Thomas Hospital was constructed in 1941 through the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a federal program that funded the construction of 130 new hospitals nationwide and improvements to 1,670 more. There were only two new hospitals in Kansas constructed with WPA funds, one in Colby and the other in Oswego. The three-story Colby hospital was designed by Kansas City architect Joseph Radotinsky in the Georgian Revival style utilizing brick salvaged from the old high school on the same site. The facility was expanded in 1948, under the supervision of Wichita architects Overend and Boucher, to include a four-story addition housing a new polio ward and emergency facilities and a two-story chapel. It was nominated as part of the New Deal-Era Resources of Kansas multiple property nomination for its significance in the areas of health and medicine.”
Kansas Historical Society, accessed January 2022.
Kansas Historical Society, inventory record, accessed January 2022.
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on January 7, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE