St. Petersburg College was formerly known of St. Petersburg Junior College. It was established in 1927. The WPA built the school’s first permanent structure:
“The first permanent new building — housing classrooms, offices, the library and an auditorium named for Captain Lynch — was erected at what is now the corner of Fifth Avenue N and 66th Street. Built with WPA labor, it cost $91,000; equipment worth about $100,000 was transferred from the old building, mostly during the December 1941 holiday break. The new building and its contents were valued at a quarter of a million dollars. The first classes were held there in January 1942.” (www.spcollege.edu)
The college has since expanded, but this building is still in use as the James E. Hendry Administration Building.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE