St. Petersburg City Hall
From the 1990 local landmark application: “Built in 1939, St. Petersburg’s City Hall is significant for its distinction as being one of the few buildings in the City constructed under a PWA (Public Works Administration) grant. It’s construction was made possible through one of Roosevelt’s “New Deal” programs and had a great impact on the morale of the community… The building retains its architectural integrity and also retains significant interior features which contribute to its significance. City Hall is also the work of nationally known architect A. Lowther Forrest… City Hall is important as a modern example of Mediterranean Revival style of architecture.
There is one mural remaining “that dominated the ascent of the interior stairs to the second floor. The murals, about 7 by 10 feet in size, were painted by the artist George Snow Hill. They were commissioned by Mayor Walfred Lindstrom and City Council in 1940 under a federal art project of the WPA, but World War II terminated the project. Hill, however, continued to work on the murals at his own expense and donated them to the City when he was finished.”
City Hall is well known locally as a New Deal site. There aren't many of them in the area. Source: http://www.stpete.org/historic_preservation/historic_landmarks/docs/HPC_90_01_St_Petersburg_City_Hall.pdf
Project originally submitted by Christine Page on November 12, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE