Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Seven, the building at 919 Corby Street was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The station was moved across the street from an earlier firehouse just across N 10th Street. According to a 1988 article in the St. Joseph News-Press: “According to the brass plaque beside the double bay doors, Station 7 was built by the Federal Works Agency, Public Works Administration, in 1939.”
St. Joseph Fire Department history: http://www.stjosephmemorylane.com/fire/fire.html
St. Joseph News-Press: December 18, 1988, pg. 23: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/563837605/ (accessed Apr. 10, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 10, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE