Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five, what is now the St. Joseph Fire Museum was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a Federal Works Agency plaque on the right side of its front façade. Note that the building’s construction is sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
Roadtrippers.com: “The St. Joseph Fire Museum contains a collection of historical firefighting equipment, including fire trucks, used to protect the residents in St. Joseph since 1865. Much of the collection is restored to original condition. Located in the former St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five, which is considered an architectural masterpiece.”
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton and Evan Kalish on April 10, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE