St. Catherine's Park
In June 1941, the Department of Parks announced the completion of the reconstruction of the St. Catherine’s Park playground in Manhattan:
“This 1 1/3 acre recreation area is fenced in with a 6′ chain link fence and bordered with rows of benches and shade trees. The easterly half of the area has been set aside for children and besides a large wading pool which can also be used as a volley ball court, it contains a sand pit, see saws, slides, swings, and a small sitting area for guardians of children.
The westerly portion adjacent to the High School has two soft ball diamonds, a double handball court and basketball standards. There is also a large bituminously surfaced open play area which can be used for group games as well as for roller skating and ice skating in season.
Plans for the improvement were prepared by the Department of Parks and the work was performed by the Work Projects Administration.”
The playground is still in use today.
Department of Parks, Press Release, June 5, 1941 NYC Parks - St. Catherine's Park New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 10, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE