The historic St. Albans–Nitro Bridge, which spanned the Kanawha River to connect the two respective West Virginia communities from 1934 to 2013, was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $245,000 loan and $70,820 grant for the project, whose total cost was.$319,868. Construction occurred between January and November 1934. The bridge originally operated as a toll bridge until it was turned over to the State of West Virginia in 1945.
The bridge has since been replaced. Due to deteriorating conditions the 1934 bridge closed to traffic on Jan. 7, 2013; it was demolished later that year.
PWA Docket No. WV 888
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 78.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 30, 2015.
Additional contributions by Brent McKee, February 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE