A men’s dormitory was one of multiple residence projects constructed at Sul Ross State University as a result of New Deal efforts by way of the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $36,000 loan and $15,886 grant for the project, whose total cost was $57,406. Construction began in May and ended in December 1935, though the dormitory opened in 1936.
Per the El Paso Herald-Post:
Men students in Sul Ross are provided with modern housing accommodations in the men’s residence hall completed as a PWA project in 1936 at a cost of $68,000. Like most of the buildings on the campus it is of native stone. It accommodates 56 students and has an attractive inner courtyard, which during the summer term serves as a workshop for art students.
A two-story band home houses other men students, with the lower floor used for living quarters and the upper story for band practice.
Both the men’s dormitory and the band home have long been demolished.
PWA Docket No. TX 5605
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 181.
"SUL ROSS RANKS HIGH," El Paso Herald-Post, Nov. 6, 1939 (pg. 76): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/797737000/ (accessed Apr. 9, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE