Springville Museum of Art - Springville UT
In 1935-37, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built an art museum for the city of Springville UT. The building was designed in the style of the Spanish Colonial Revival style by local architect Claud S. Ashworth.
The Nebo School District donated the land, the town of Springville granted $29,000 in materials and tools, and the Mormon/LDS church offered another $20,000. The WPA contribution was $54,000, chiefly in labor costs. WPA workers also manufactured the decorative tile for the museum.
The Springville Museum of Art is, in fact, the oldest museum in Utah for the visual fine arts. In 1964, a two story wing was added as a gift from the Clyde Foundation.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on July 27, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE