Springfield [Pond] Park was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and were “turned over to the Park Department” on August 18, 1939.
“A three-acre lake, once a mosquito-breeding swamp, is the center of the Springfield Gardens development,” wrote The New York Times, “which embraces seventeen and one-half acres and includes an athletic field, a football gridiron, two basketball courts, two softball diamonds and more than 100 shade trees.”
The New York Times: "City Acquires Two Parks Built by WPA in Queens," August 19, 1939 (pg. 1)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 27, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE