On June 18, 1941, the Department of Parks announced the completion a large recreation area stretching from 114th to 121st Streets along the Southern Parkway (part of the Belt Parkway):
“At the 114th to 121st location the construction of five softball diamonds, chain link fence enclosures, grading and seeding is completed. Separating the two ballfields opposite 114th Place and again, the two opposite 116th Street, sets of three-tier concrete bleachers have been constructed in a double or back-to-back arrangement, so that each of the four ballfields is provided with spectator accommodations. The diamonds all have hooded backstops. An irrigation system has been installed and drinking fountains are conveniently located. Pedestrian access to the recreation areas is from North Conduit Avenue by means of bituminous paved walks…
Plans for these improvements were drawn by the Department of Parks and the work executed by the Work Projects Administration.”
The area, now known as Southern Field still exists, though it now includes only one baseball diamond, a soccer field and a playground.
Department of Parks, Press Release, June 18, 1941 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Belt Parkway Southern Field
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 10, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE