South St. Mary's Street Underpasses North ViewLarry D. Moore, CC BY-SA 4.0, February 12, 2018
In 1937, the Texas Highway Department and the United States Bureau of Public Roads built two underpasses on South St. Mary’s Street in San Antonio, Texas to separate the grade of South St. Mary’s Street from the railway lines of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and the Texas and New Orleans Railroad.
The Texas and New Orleans Railroad merged with Southern Pacific Railroad which was taken over by Union Pacific Railroad, which still uses the bridge. The Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad bridge is no longer in use and the railroad tracks have been removed.
Plaques on underpasses
Texas and New Orleans Railroad, Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_and_New_Orleans_Railroad), accessed February 15, 2018.
Southern Pacific Transportation Company, Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_Transportation_Company), accessed February 15, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on February 15, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE