In 1939 and 1940, WPA workers made several improvements to the South Seattle Playground, beginning with the demolition of the four-story former South Seattle School building, which had closed in 1932 but remained on the site. Much of the brick from the old school building was reused by WPA workers to build a shelter house for the playground in 1939. The following year, workers re-graded the south half of the field. The playground and shelter house were demolished as part of the South Seattle Industrial Park urban renewal project in the late 1960s.
Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1939, 1940. "Seattle Public School, 1862-2000: South Seattle School." HistoryLink.org. Accessed February 26, 2017. http://historylink.org/File/10594
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on February 27, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE