South Llano River Bridge
The South Llano River Bridge is a 1424 foot steel through truss bridge with a 24-foot wide roadway that carries Texas State Highway Loop 481 over the South Llano River in Junction, Texas. The bridge replaced a functionally obsolete truss bridge with a 14-foot roadway that flooding had damaged in 1935. Although repaired, the Texas Highway Department engineers felt a sense of urgency to replace the old bridge. The new bridge was built between 1936 and 1937 with federal aid funds. A bronze plaque embedded in the railing at each entrance to the bridge identifies the Texas Highway Department and the Bureau of Public Roads as the government agencies responsible for the project. After reviewing the 10 bids submitted, the highway department awarded the construction contract to the Central Bitulithic Company of Dallas, which submitted the low bid of $266,547. Construction work on the project began on May 19, 1936.
Plaque on bridge Texas Historic Sites Atlas
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on December 21, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE