South Fork Ranger Station c 1940 - Mt Timpanogos UT
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the South Fork Ranger Station on the Alpine Loop Road (Highway 92), near the intersection of Highway 144, in 1933-34.
The CCC enrollees who did the work were from Company 940 stationed in Camp F-5 at Granite Flat. The work was begun in the Summer of 1933 and a small CCC crew remained through the winter to finish work on the ranger station and the Timpanogos Cave trail and tunnel (Baldridge, p. 164).
This is one of around three dozen ranger stations built by the CCC across Utah in the 1930s (Roper 2021). South Fork Ranger Station is still intact, but appears to be permanently closed to the public. This needs further verification.
Baldridge, Kenneth. 2019. The Civilian Conservation Corps in Utah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press.
Roper, Roger. CCC Database. Utah State Historic Preservation Office. 3-29-2021.
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on July 31, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE