Long planned, federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds enabled the development of the South Broad Street subway from its then-southern terminus at Lombard South Station to Snyder Ave., during the mid-to-late 1930s. Service along this stretch of subway was inaugurated at the three new subway stations: Ellsworth–Federal, Tasker–Morris, and Snyder, on Sept. 18, 1938.
The Broad Street line was extended further south, decades later, to Pattison Ave.
"The Private City: Philadelphia in Three Periods of Its Growth," by Sam Bass Warner (pg. 193)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 25, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE