"Bulloch Hall""White House Has Picture of T.R.'s Ancestral Home"; Daily Sentinel, Rome, NY, May 17, 1934 (page 9).
“Bulloch Hall” by Frances Lee Turner was painted in 1934 under the auspices of either the Civil Works Administration (CWA) or the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP), which gave work to unemployed artists in the early years of the New Deal.
The painting traveled from Roswell GA to Washington DC to be hung in the White House. It was transferred to the Smithsonian in 1965.
The painting, like hundreds of other New Deal artworks in the American Art Museum, is not presently on display.
"White House Has Picture of T.R.'s Ancestral Home"; Daily Sentinel, Rome, NY, May 17, 1934 (page 9).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 21, 2014.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE