“As time progressed and the city grew, Shenandoah’s population increased creating a need for a new, state of the art building. By 1940, land was purchased on 19th Street and 19th Avenue, construction workers were hired with the help of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and the construction began. Students were then moved in as soon as it was completed. Shenandoah became of the most modern and well-equipped schools in the South. Meanwhile, the “old” building became Shenandoah Elementary.
On December 11, 1942, the beautiful new building was formally dedicated with great fanfare. Since then, the school has been slightly modified with the addition of an auditorium, locker rooms for physical education, and air conditioning.” (http://shenandoahms.org)
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942” http://shenandoahms.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=190349&type=d
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on May 21, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE