Former Shawnee Fire Station
In 1938 and 1939 the Federal Works Progress Administration built the Shawnee Fire Station at 1950 N. Park Avenue. According the Waymarking webpage for the former fire station, the building, which is evidently occupied, is now half-obscured among residential homes of a similar architectural style.
The Waymarking webpage for this site reads as follows:
“This fire station, located among homes of its era, fits in so well, it’s easy to miss. It is constructed of yellow brick and was a valuable benefit to the residents of Shawnee in 1938. The building is about 42 x 42 feet and has a hipped roof, with a gable over the front entrance and a slightly projected garage opening.
At the center of the facade the garage door opening has been covered with wood siding, as have entrances on the front and north side. The garage door opening is flanked by curved pilasters. The windows are metal framed and have concrete sills. They are currently protected by iron bars.
The building appears to be occupied. Just to the west is a large municipal water tank, and it is possible that this building is occupied by a city maintenance office, but that can’t be confirmed as there is no signage.”
The Living New Deal needs further information to determine how the building is currently being used.
Waymarking.com: Former Fire Station - Shawnee, OK Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey: Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination City of Shawnee History
Project originally submitted by Hamquilter on August 11, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE