Shannon Springs Park, WPA Bridge
“During the mid-1930s, the WPA constructed many items in Shannon Springs Park, including walls and drainage ditches, a caretaker’s cottage and bathhouse, an amphitheater and this beautiful stone bridge. A concrete WPA shield shows the date 1936.
The bridge crosses the park lake and has both pedestrian and vehicle access. Stone pillars rise at each end on both sides of the bridge. The bridge has a curved top with a decorative iron railing.
The view of this bridge from across the lake, with the trees framing it, and geese and ducks enjoying the scenery, is a beautiful sight.
The park, with its numerous WPA construction, is listed on the Oklahoma Landmark Inventory Database.” (waymarking.com)
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on June 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE