“Shannon Springs Park is a large recreational area, constructed also by the [Works Progress Administration] WPA. With its ponds, playground, sports areas,and amphitheater, it is the center of many activities throughout the year. The large Christmas Light display in December brings tens of thousands.
“The original swimming pool is gone, but the WPA-constructed bathhouse stands today. Built in 1935 with an appropriation of $11,479, this is a one-story concrete block building, with a Spanish Mission flavor. In 1987 when the building was added to the Oklahoma Landmark Database, the building was boarded up and in disrepair. Today, it has been refurbished, is painted pink and white, and is used as a recreation center and community building.
“Some windows are fixed pain, and others are double-hung. A set of double doors facing west, are flanked by the original wood side lights, each segmented into four panes. Above the entrance, and at the corners and points of change in the wall formation, are columns topped with decorative parapets at the roof line, in the Mission style.”
Project originally submitted by Sharon Thompson on September 14, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE