Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission annual reports detail a New Deal-aided project in the north Boston metro area.
“At the close of 1934 sites had been selected for an Intermediate High Service Reservoir on Arlington Heights and for a pumping station on Clifton Street in Belmont to improve the service for portions of Belmont, Watertown and Arlington. There was strong objection from the residents near Clifton Street and from the town officials to the construction of a pumping station in that location, and as a result the 1935 working season was well advanced before it was finally determined to locate the pumping station on Alexander Avenue near Leonard Street.
About that time the town officials proposed that the new pipe lines be constructed in cooperation with the town as a Federal E.R.A. project to provide work for the unemployed. This proposal was adopted and the work of laying the 20-inch water pipes was begun July 2 and was continued as an E.R.A. project until November 25, and after that date was continued as a Federal W.P.A. project. At the close of the year 7,810 linear feet of 20-inch pipe line had been laid, completing the portion of the line from a point about 50 feet north of the Watertown boundary line at Belmont and Common Streets, through Common Street and Leonard Street to a point about 150 feet north of Alexander Avenue and including about 150 feet of branch line in Alexander Avenue, and a metered connection had been made with the town of Belmont 12-inch water main on Common Street at Washington Street.
The average number of men employed per day was 54 and the maximum force 172 on December 12. The total expenditures for this work by the Federal Government was about $37,700.”
“The work of laying the 20-inch pipe lines for improvement of the Intermediate High Service district in Belmont, Watertown and Arlington, which was in progress at the close of 1935, in cooperation with a Federal Works Progress Administration Project, was continued from Leonard Street in Belmont to the new Intermediate High Service Reservoir on Arlington Heights, and was completed October 12. The work done under this project included the construction of 5,789 linear feet of X-inch cement-lined cast-iron pipe line and appurtenances; 5,819 linear leet of 2-duXXX electric cable conduit and appurtenances, and the excavation of 1,760 cubic yards of rock under Contract No. 107 with John A. Gaffey and Son.”
"Annual report of the Metropolitan District Commission," by Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission (1934 volume; pg. 19)
"Annual report of the Metropolitan District Commission," by Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission (1936 volume; pg. 24)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 12, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE