The federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) supplied funds to undertake this county project during the 1930s.
The jail was added to the rear of the courthouse with PWA project Miss. 1287-F. The courthouse was remodeled, with an Art Moderne style. The courthouse and jail were demolished c. 1955. A PWA grant funded $24,545 and the work was completed June 21, 1939.
(Old Scott County Courthouse. Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory database. Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3, Mississippi. January 3, 1940, p. 106. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division. "Ground broken for courthouse." ( December 2, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 15, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE