The Works Progress Administration made an allotment for a “new, modernistic school building” for Byram Elementary School, completed in October 1938. The Public Works Administration (PWA) W1183 funded construction for new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools 1938-1939, including Byram. Bond election was held October 18, 1938 for Byram to issue $33,000 for a new auditorium, gymnasium, and additional classrooms. PWA W1183 funded school buildings in Hinds County with a loan of 151,986 toward estimated cost of 337,746, approved 6/22/1938. Construction began 11/14/1938; completed 12/4/1939 for a total of 322,153 for all projects. Architects were N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town. The buildings were demolished in 2007.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved August 13, 2020 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Any&County=Hinds
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi, January 3, 1940, p. 105. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division.
Hinds School Work Among PWA Projects Given Okeh. (Jun 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
County Schools Seek Extension. (Sep 17, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
Byram's New School Building. (Oct 19, 1938). Clarion-Ledger.
School Districts to Vote on Bonds. (Oct 8, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
PWA Aided in Construction of 228 School Buildings in State; Complete List Given. (Sep 25, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 16, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE