“In September 1937, the modern one-story, red-brick $120,000 Wyandanch Elementary School opened for classes on Straight Path on 7 and 1/3 acres across the street from the Our Lady of Miraculous Medal Roman Catholic Church and alongside the Town of Babylon Highway Department sand pit and debris dump. $54,000 of the school’s $120,000 construction cost was provided by Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal Public Works Authority (PWA). The school had seven classrooms and 280 pupils as well as an auditorium which sat 400 people. The principal was Jesse K. Chichester, Jr. The building was formally dedicated on November 17, 1937 with representatives of the PWA and Dr. William K. Wilson the director of the School Buildings Division of the State Education Department joining school board: La Clede Wilson, Anthony Tafuri, Henry Claus Busch, trustees and Edwin Mason district clerk and Hugo Avolin, district treasurer in the evening ceremony. A.M Jones the Superintendent of Schools of bthe Third Supervisory District of Suffolk County also spoke. The assessed valuation of the Wyandanch School District #9 in 1937 was only $726,000. Hugo Avolin, an architect who lived in Wyandanch, designed the “seven-room school house.” The construction of the school was approved by the “qualified voters” of Wyandanch on October 22, 1935 by a vote of 152 to 60.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 29, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE