Utica High School was completed 1939 as part of Public Works Administration (PWA) project W1183 to construct new buildings and improvements for five Hinds County schools. A bond election for Utica was held October 29 and $27,000 were approved for issue to supplement the PWA funding to construct a new building and complete alterations on the old school. The total for all five projects was $337,746 with PWA contributing a loan of $151,986. The project was approved 6/22/1938, bids advertised in October, and the project completed 12/4/1939. The building was opened for dedication November 16, 1939. The Clarion-Ledger reported a grant of $176,314 was also allotted but this does not appear in the Region No. 3 PWA report. The architect was Edgar Lucian Malvaney and the builder/contractor was Flint-Jordan Construction Company. The two-story brick building is extant, but was closed in 2018 when a new building was constructed.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory. Retrieved August 13, 2020 from: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspxrpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Utica&County=Any
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Region No. 3 Mississippi, January 3, 1940, p. 105. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division.
School Districts to Vote on Bonds. (Oct 8, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
Hinds School Work Among PWA Projects Given Okeh. (Jun 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 1.
County Schools Seek Extension. (Sep 17, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 2.
WPA Aided in Construction of 228 School Buildings in State; Complete List Given. (Sep 25, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
New School at Utica. (Nov 15, 1939). Clarion-Ledger.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 15, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE