New-Albany-School-Bas-ReliefNew Albany High School bas relief sculpture panel. Photo courtesy of Susan Allen.
The 1936 high school was designed by E. L. Malvaney, and constructed by Walter L. Perry Construction Company. Mississippi project W1034 provided a $40,909 grant and the city funded the remainder of the total cost of $92,437. Construction began March 25, 1936 and was completed January 20, 1937. The school was demolished at some point, but the concrete bas relief panels–found on many of E. L. Malvaney’s Mississippi schools, were salvaged and erected at the back of the new school.
Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, Report No. 5, Region No. 3. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. no. 104, January 3, 1940.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory, New Albany.
"PWA announces change in handling projects, first job approved." Clarion-Ledger, August 12, 1935, p. 10.
"State's PWA list formed." Clarion-Ledger, December 15, 1935, p. 1.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on October 27, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE