Site of the Former Skowhegan School
The Independent Reporter often covered the ongoing work of the New Deal at providing relief for the unemployed on work in Skowhegan. In 1933-1934, the CWA and then FERA carried out extensive improvements to the local junior and senior high schools, including grading the schools’ grounds and other landscaping, building roads, constructing a new athletic field and re-painting and cleaning the school interiors.
The High School moved onto the island in 1869. In 1919, a new High School was constructed across the river from the island and the Junior High moved into the old High School. In the 1980’s a new High School was built on the Norridgewalk Rd. and the old building was abandoned. The old Junior High was later torn down for a parking lot for a factory and the church. When this author visited this summer, the building was completely gone and new apartment houses were being constructed on the athletic field.
The Independent Reporter, a long defunct Somerset County weekly newspaper
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on January 28, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE