Located on Walnut Avenue West of 4th Street are the ruins of a school gymnasium. It was constructed of native sandstone, and WPA shields at several locations on the concrete sidewalks show the date 1939.
The building was one-story, with a two-story section on the east side. The roof was barrel shaped and the metal framing is all that is left. Windows around the building were large 20-pane casement windows. Among the rubble inside the building are the remains of concrete bleachers on either side of the gym floor. An outside 16-step staircase leads up the hill to the building.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on July 4, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE