Former Eola School gym
In 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the gym at Eola School, as part of a larger uncompleted project: “The 1940 addition was financed with federal and local funds–$60,000 Work Projects Administration (WPA) funds and $15,000 Eola School District funds. The project started October 24, 1939 and was completed October 5, 1940. WPA records specify the construction of a secondary school, gymnasium and 22,119 gallon concrete water storage tank. The secondary school was to be attached to the west end of the existing building. The playground would be enclosed with a rock fence. The August 25, 1940 San Angelo Standard-Times announced the opening of school on September 5 and stated the new gym, 3 classrooms, a library-study hall and rest rooms were finished.” It is now the site of the Eola School Restaurant.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 19, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE