This striking structure was built by the PWA for what was then the local high school. The building’s historic landmark plaque:
“Using funds from the Federal Public Works Administration and local tax dollars, this structure was built to provide space for school and community assemblies, performances and athletic events. Architects Voelcker and Dixon of Wichita Falls designed the auditorium with Romanesque influences in its arched window and entrance openings and its brick detailing. The 1937 Junior-Senior prom was the first official school function held here, followed later that school year by commencement exercises in the auditorium. It remains in use for community functions.” (http://openplaques.org)
The auditorium is now closer to the local junior high than to Bonham High School.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE