Neptune Park - Clinton OK
The Works Progress Administration built the Neptune Park in Clinton, OK.
“Neptune Park was constructed by the WPA in 1936. Route 66 was a going concern, and ran right through Clinton. This park is not elaborate, but it served the travelers along adjacent Route 66, with picnic tables and a place to pull off the road and rest.
Today, most of the original Route 66 is now Interstate 40, bypassing the town, but in 1936, the park stood in the “Y” between Neptune Drive and Walton Road, right on the Mother Road. We found two WPA picnic tables with native sandstone bases and concrete tops, one in pretty bad shape. The sign for the park, constructed by the WPA with local sandstone has a base and pillar with heavy wood beams from which hangs an Oklahoma-shaped sign which reads: NEPTUNE PARK / Est.11-30.1936
There is a six-sided pavilion with a metal roof, and a few pieces of playground equipment, but the big draw here is its history.”
Waymarker: (https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11E1D_Neptune_Park_Clinton_OK), accessed October 2019.
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination (http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=66176&pbc=P), accessed October 2019.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE