Madison School Field
An article dated Jan. 11, 1934 speaks of New Deal assistance for the town, including the construction of a new athletic field:
“Madison High School is to have one of the finest athletic fields in the state of Maine, thanks to the personal efforts of First Selectman James H. Thorne. Mr. Thorne saw the need of a modern athletic park at the local high school and through his efforts the Government has consented to forward more CWA funds to this town for the purpose of improving Alumni field. Several thousand dollars will be expended and about fifty men will be employed on the project. Work commenced this week. Snow has been removed from the surface of the field in preparation of grading. The entire grounds will be leveled off, the tennis courts will be finished, and special improvements will be made on the baseball diamond and the gridiron. A high fence will be built to close in the park. This has been a long needed addition to the field. There are many townspeople who believe that since funds are forth coming from the Government for this wonderful improvement, local semi-pro sports teams should be allowed to use the grounds without charge.”
The High School was destroyed by arson in 1987 and the current Junior High was built in its place. When this author visited this summer, the tennis courts mentioned looked badly neglected and probably haven’t been used since the fire.
The Independent Reporter, a long defunct Somerset County weekly newspaper
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on January 29, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE