The Schoodic Peninsula is “located four miles (6 km) east of Bar Harbor, Maine, as the crow flies and contains 2,266 acres (9 km2), or approximately 5%, of Acadia National Park.” Following a deal with John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and the National Park Service to move a Navy radio facility from Mount Desert Island to Schoodic Point in 1935, the CCC was involved in the construction of the United States Navy base NSGA Winter Harbor, the 4 mile Schoodic Park Loop Road, a new causeway bridge, demolishing older buildings in Lower Harbor to create a cleared area at Frazer Point, solidifying the old Moore Mountain Road, brush, tree, and deadwood clearing, a new ranger cabin facility near Moores Mountain Road, 4 park hiking trails and trailheads on Schoodic Head, the Blueberry Hill parking area, and a sizable parking area, rest room, and pumping station for the viewing of the spectacular surf at Schoodic Point.
The base was decommissioned in 2002 and has been converted into a National Park Service training center called the Schoodic Education and Research Center Institute.”
W.P.A. project information for Navy Yard:
“Construct fences and shelter for pump, install water pump, and improve buildings”
Official Project Number: 265‐3‐11‐6
Total project cost: $50,612.00
Sponsor: Commandant, 1st Naval District, U.S. Navy
Schoodic Point: History on the Edge of Acadia National Park
By Allen K. Workman
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-86).
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on May 6, 2014.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE