This site was acquired by the city through condemnation in 1929 and 1930 and became parkland shortly thereafter. In August 1935, the Department of Parks announced the opening of a new playground at the site, which included “a wading pool and the usual play apparatus.” It used to be known as the Lafayette High School Playground after the nearby school and was renamed the John S. Scarangella Playground in 1992. The playground was renovated in 1997.
As researcher Frank da Cruz explains here, almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were accomplished with New Deal funds and/or labor. From April 1935 on, the WPA quickly became the main source of relief funds and labor for the NYC Parks Department.
New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 Department of Parks, Press Release, August 30, 1935 NYC Parks - Scarangella Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on September 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE