On July 9, 1941, the Department of Parks announced the completion of what is now the Eugene Sarsfield Playground in Brooklyn. The press release announcing the park’s opening reported:
“To provide a flat play surface it was necessary to construct a concrete retaining wall of variable height along the north property line with a short stairway access provided from Avenue “M”. An 8′ chain link boundary fence has been placed on top of this wall and along the entire property line. A second entrance leads from Flatlands Avenue near the corner of Ryder Street.
Seventeen 2½-3″ diameter Norway maples have been planted in a 5′ border of concrete blocks between the boundary fence and the new concrete sidewalks and curbs. A 20′ square brick comfort station and a flagpole are located on the Ryder Street side near the two entrances. The playground surface of bituminous material is subdivided into several units by tree planted strips of concrete block paving, benches and low fencing. A large open free play area has a central 32′ diameter circular shower basin. In four compartments along the Flatlands Avenue property line are the following facilities: an irrigated sand pit with tree shaded benches on three sides; 33′ of fence enclosed chair swings for pre-school children; 4 see-saws and 2 slides; 30′ of protected swings and 2 slides for older children and a pipe frame exercise unit.
The project which was built by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks also included drainage, irrigation, drinking fountains and lighting.”
The playground was largely reconstructed in the 1990s.
Department of Parks, Press Release, July 9, 1941 NYC Parks - Sarsfield Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 11, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE